Thursday, July 28

Pass the Manet


Ok--

I need your help to find a print I've been looking for for 11 years (I kid you not).

When I was an upperclassman in highschool, I participated in Academic Decathalon (you already knew I was a nerd, get over it.) Actually, we called it "Aca-Crack" and met on a Saturday to eat pizza, gossip, goof off, cram a few facts, eat pizza, flirt, and eat pizza. We always placed in the top third, and we figured that was pretty good, considering other schools offered Aca-Crack as an elective and kids spent a whole semester preparing, while all we did was flirt and eat pizza. And my friend Ariel and I always cleaned up in the impromptu and prepared speech categories, even though we had written our prepared speeches at, like, 2 a.m. the night before.

Ok, I digress (big time). We had an art section, and one of those years we had to study a portrait by Manet of what we would call a homeless man. I think the painting is titled "The Hobo" or "The Wanderer" or something like that. It's in the same style as his portrait of "The Young Piper." Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mother's garage lies the copy I ripped out of my study booklet, but I'd like to find a "real" copy. I'd be happy for just the name of it. Can anyone help me? Robs--would Traci know? Google is letting me down.

The Young Piper


p.s. dog still doesn't have a name. My new favorite: Badger.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you refering to the picture which is called something like "The Ragpicker" or something close to that?

M.

Jonathan said...

Hey Annie,

Of course I remember you, though I've conveniently forgotten about the throwing-acorns-at-you part. (Sorry about that.)

You might have been thinking of Manet's "Le Vagabond" (http://members.aol.com/user509067/Page30.html -- scroll down a bit). No idea where it is now, but apparently once upon a time it was at the LA County Museum of Art (http://www.lacma.org/info/press/frmastersPR.htm). (?)

And next time you're at the Orsay check out my favorite sculpture, which also happens to be remarkably vagabond-ish: "Le Paysan" by Jules Dalou.

Good luck with that visa!

Jonathan

annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
annie said...

Yes! We have a winner (actually two). In English the painting is known as "The Ragpicker" and in French as "Le Vagabond." You'd think "The Vagabond" would be an adequate translation! Hmm...

Thank you for the help! Now I can find a print.