Monday, October 17

Today's Thoughts

1. I hate political ads. Nothing kills my patriotic, faithful-voter self as much as political ads. I blame them ENTIRELY for low voter turnout.

2. As I contemplate someday moving out of this apartment (at the moment I'm a bit pessimistic on this whole visa process), I've run into one of the great decisions: what CDs and DVDs belonging to my roommate can I no longer live without. At this point, I think it is her HEM CD and her A Mighty Wind DVD. I may have to get Best in Show too.

3. And now for the real part of this entry: an excerpt. From Frank Laubach's journal, published as Letters by a Modern Mystic, excerpted in Devotional Classics.

March 15, 1930

Every waking moment of the week I have been looking toward Him, with perhaps the exception of an hour or two. How infinitely richer this direct first hand grasping of God himself is, than the old method which I used and recommended for years, the endless reading of devotional books. Almost it seems to me now that the very Bible cannot be read as a substitute for meeting God soul to soul and face to face.

A little ironic that I read it in a devotional book...

3 comments:

Virginia Living said...

I am seriouly NOT going to vote in the governor race here in Virginia because of the political ads. They have reduced each other to bobble heads. GRRR.

Jen said...

(So glad to be out of America this time of year! Oh the happy oblivion of the expat)

Re: the lovely, lovely quote from Frank Laubach - I have really and truly been experiencing this in my own life since coming to Lithuania. When I first open my eyes (in the progressively darker and darker mornings), or even before I open them, I turn my thoughts toward God and smile and know that I am kept in His hands. I fall asleep at night in prayer. It is so ordinary and natural, I wonder that I haven't always been this close to Him.

Bar L. said...

That's an excellent quote. I often wonder if I am missing out on something God wants to say to me directly when I pick up a devotional rather than my pen and paper or Bible (or both). I know He uses devos written by others, but for me, for now...I think he wants my attention directly on him.

Oh - I agree SO MUCH about political ads. It's insulting to the American public. UGH!