Monday, December 12

Au revoir mes amies
















Saturday I said good-bye to a wonderful group of women who have made San Clemente home for me. I am ever-thankful for them, and for the Shoreline Church--both these women and the church leadership have a vision for home and the world. Not only Jerusalem, but also Judea, Samaria and the ends of the earth. I am a stronger, richer person for having walked with these ladies and for having them walk with me. And--since they are true travelers--I'm sure at least some of them will show up on my French doorstep--probably en route to somewhere with both great spiritual need AND great waves. (Kari and Paula should be in this picture too. Kari's taking the photo--but where's Paula?)















And, then there's Roomie (pictured above with my heroes who are helping me move). She left this morning to visit her maybe-future home on the Isle of Wight. I am so happy for her (and Martin), but I'm going to miss her terribly. I cried all night, kept it together for the few minutes while we said goodbye this morning, and then lost it again after Jake and I waved her off. All that Brit blood in me enforces the whole "stiff upper lip" act around other people, which is really rubbish. And it's historically remarkable that a French Southerner and a British/German Yankee (are Californians Yankees? maybe not...) could live together so well and so long in peace. :)
I've had many pseudo-brothers (as well as the two real ones), but I've never had anyone I thought of as a pseudo-sister. Until now. Patrice is the best "big sister" I'll ever have. She gives wise counsel AND she wears my size and has good taste. What more could a girl ask for? :) Our little home has broken apart...
DANG IT! I'm crying again. At least I got a few minutes of tear-free reflection. Listening to Mario Lanza probably isn't helping.

6 comments:

Steve, Shan & Jacob said...

"Don't cry, shopgirl!" (line from my favorite movie--do you know it?)I'm so sad that you're leaving beautiful southern California ;( I know how hard it is to leave that place. I'll be praying for you as you transition into this next chapter in your life. Wish I could see you during Christmas--can't you stay one more week?
~Shan

annie said...

Thanks Shan! As I was chopping veggies for minestrone soup for the party, I was thinking how it wasn't the same without you two and Heather and Roby and Eric and all the others who left before me.

And OF COURSE I know what movie that is. "Don't you love the smell of New York in the fall?" Maybe one day I'll receive a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils. (My apologies to those reading this who have no idea what I'm talking about.)

And speaking of goodbye parties--that photo of you and Steve is from yours! (well...I guess you knew that...)

the isaacs said...

i don't know why i thought that you aleady moved up north with your rents. i am a bit behind on the times these days...lost in baby world i imagine. we too know what you are going through, as you well know. i hope that you aren't too sad and take some awesome memories with you. just think, new friends, experiences and memories await! looking forward to reading about your next slice of life! love ya!
heth

the isaacs said...

so jason moved back to so cal? ny didn't suit him? hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

He got transferred back...international headquarters for the liquor company is in Aliso Viejo...go figure.

Virginia Living said...

You were such a good roomie for Patrice. I wish I would've lived there while you were her roommate, although something tells me it would have been lots of late nights, playing games and getting in trouble. :)