I couldn't resist posting these words, written in the early '80's by Michener in his fictionalized account of the Solidarity movement in Poland (one of the early death knells of the USSR--feel free to correct my history if I'm wrong...). At the time, predominantly Catholic Poland looked to the Polish Pope (John Paul II) for support in her stance against Russia.
"Leaning back, and then forward to pour himself some more brandy, [Bishop Barski] said very slowly, 'Our church has survived in the modern world by refusing to ally itself with any one form of government. In a country like Italy, that would be a difficult course to follow. The Holy Father did break the rule and advise the Italians to vote against divorce and abortion, and they ignored him completely. He's better when he speaks on the general principles of good government and labor relations. Then they listen."'It seems to me that whenever our church has taken a participatory stand this way or that in the actual governing of Poland, it has performed poorly. I doubt it will intrude now. Governing is up to you politicians, and I would advise my church not to allow itself to be used to fortify your position this week and your adversary's next week. Our job is to provide permanent solace and spiritual leadership to the people as a whole, whatever their government at the moment, so long as it stays within the bounds of moral decency.'"
..."Can you, as a good Catholic priest, love the Communists [who have abused you so terribly]?" Bukowski [a minister in the Communist party] asked.
"I do. I love you, Szymon [Bukowski]. If I had a son, I would want him to be a man much like you, fighting each battle as it roared at him from whatever new horizon."
No comments:
Post a Comment