I have two grand weaknesses: books and shoes. Really, all I need in life to make me happy are a pile of books, cute shoes, and music.
I have packed my bags, everything is over weight, and yet my suitcases hold no books, and no shoes other than my boots. (Don't tell me to take them out and wear them...I'm going to wear another pair of heavier boots.)
I took out all the extras: cribbage board, homey household trinkets, flannels left over from high school that I never wear in public but are cozy at home...
WHAT IS IN THOSE BAGS? HOW CAN THEY BE THAT HEAVY?
And let's not even mention what my carry-on weighs. I'm wondering if I can heft that thing into the over-head bin. Unfortunately, I'm too tall to beg help from a kind stranger to do it for me...
Oh well, tomorrow I re-pack again.
9 years ago
4 comments:
Annie -
Put the household trinkets back in. Seriously. I brought my favorite set of silverware with me, and my duvet cover, and curtains. It seems silly, but these are the things that make you feel at home - and the more at home you feel, the less energy you have to spend on adjusting and the more can be spent on getting down to business.
Have you looked into shipping the books? I shipped three boxes via M-bag (printed matter only), for aprox. $60 for 60 pounds. (Yes, that's 60 pounds of books. But I am teaching and need them, right?) Granted, it took friggin' ever for them to arrive, but you could send some that way and take a few others to tide you over.
Don't waste packing space on excess toiletries or medicine. But you know this. Consider what you can buy over here (hairdryer, computer speakers, towels.)
And about the shoes - don't leave out the kicky, high-heeled boots that seem to only play a part in one's imagined scenarios of European life. They are a necessity for blending in, just as much as the dark coats and wan, "I'm too good for this" facial expression. :)
Lastly, Good Earth Tea. Remember? This is a necessity.
Love you, happy packing, blessed travels...
Jen
Oh no. no room for shoes!!! I agree with Jen, you need the shoes. shoes and ok some books (like a bible) but shoes, shoes....
Everything I buy lately is measures in terms of - are you worth moving in may? Seriously, even text books, but shoes somehow they are exempt.
i lose shoes!!!! Let the shoes go to France!
Ok--to clarify: I dropped off two suitcases in November which had lots of household stuff: my favorite towel, mugs, my duvet cover, etc. And whatever I don't bring now, my mom brings in April. So I think I'm ok there... and I was thinking about mailing the books, but they are SO expensive to get BACK to the US. Especially from a $$ place like France. (those should be Euro signs, not dollar signs, but I don't know how to make Euro signs on this keyboard!).
Right now, the only shoes I have are three pair of boots. And they're NOT coming out! :)
So, back to packing (but first to the Farmer's Market... Mom and I are getting fresh Ahi so I can teach her how to make sushi rolls! yummmmm....)
You can never have too many shoes. We must have options...even if you only wear the same two pairs the whole time...or better yet...buy new ones...we still need the comfort of knowing we have options. Why? Because we are SO very American.
Post a Comment