Wednesday, January 4

thoughts of the day

Jealousy
When I was nineteen, I had my first independent European adventure: London, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina (What were my parents thinking to let me go? I spent a summer hearing US airforce jets roar overhead as they ran bombing missions between their base outside of Szeged, Hungary and their targets in Kosovo and Serbia. Ah well, I'm so glad they didn't stop me...)

All that to say--my nineteen-year-old brother left this morning for his first independent European adventure and I'm jealous. Yes, yes, I know that I'm moving to France imminently, but there's something about that first transoceanic flight alone...something about being solely responsible for one's own passport, etc. Something about hailing a taxi or navigating the Tube for the first time that's deliciously frightening and empowering. Some of my recent Asian/African adventures have left me with similar senses of glorious accomplishment--but there's nowhere like Europe (if I can really generalize an entire continent?) and there's nowhere like England/Britain.

So Annie is alone with Mom and Dad for two weeks until Andrew comes home from SE Asia. ... Very strange.

My So-Called Life
This reflection may only apply to women who graduated from high school in the mid-90's, but ... we'll see.

Last night I discovered that some cable channel (and I don't remember which one) broadcasts My So-Called Life from 2-3 am. For those of you who don't remember, MSCL was a short-lived but dearly loved show about a high-school girl (Claire Danes), her unattainable crush (Jared Leto), her parents and friends (whatever happened to the girl who played Rayanne? I loved her!). Anyway--the show connected intimately with its intended demographic (me and my friends) but to no one else. So it was cancelled.

Watching it last night, I was transported back to 1994 (roughly), and all the terrors of high school. But, I had a FANTASTIC epiphany at the end of the episode: Claire Danes looks frumpy in baggy jeans and flannels. You see, I am deeply disturbed by my own mid-90's frumpiness as recorded on celluloid. But, if beautiful Claire Danes also looked bad back then...maybe there's hope for me...

Une pensée pour aujourd’hui
Patrice gave me a "French phrase of the day" tear-away calendar, and the phrases continue to be either quite helpful, or ridiculous (and therefore entertaining).

Today's useful sentence: Je vais me présenter aux elections.

First person with the correct translation receives..congratulations. And no Babelfish-cheating, either.

I should probably go live today, rather than blogging about it....

7 comments:

the isaacs said...

tres rusty francais have i. i was thinking "vais" was "would like" but maybe that is voudrais. How about "I would like to present at the elections?" am i ANYWHERE remotely close? that seems way too easy :) nancy would know i bet!

Anonymous said...

Close...

Here's a hint: "vais" is "go" or "am going to."

the isaacs said...

ok, so i just looked it up. when are you ever going to use "I will present myself at the elections" in everyday banter? :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
annie said...

Ha! Exactly!

(technically, it means "I will run for election.")

Jen said...

Annie -

"I should probably go live today, rather than blogging about it"

You are a genius. I was laughing outloud reading that, and that phrase instantly kicked me out of the pensive slump of introspection and wallowing that I have been stuck in since returning to LT. (Read the blog. I'm mopy). THANK YOU.

Now, off to live today, or what's left of it! School starts tomorrow...

The McKays said...

Hi Annie, Shannon's sister here (Judy's other daughter). Not sure if you remember me, but I do check your blog from time to time. I am stoked that you are headed to France to soon!! Aron and I LONG to live in Europe (spec. Italy). Anyway, upon reading this post, I was thrilled to see your comments on MSCL!! That show was so incredible and I remember thinking how it accurately portrayed how I felt at the time. Jared Leto was so hot, and yes, Rayanne was such a cool character. Whatever did happen to her? I actually remember mom wasn't totally crazy about the show, so I had to sneak it in. Ah, your flannel comment made me laugh! It's so true. You see those pics of stars in the 90s and think how 'bad' they looked, so yes, hopefully there is hope for the rest of us to become more and more glamorous over time.