I would never claim to be an artist: I even have trouble calling myself a writer, although I earned my living for several years by putting words together.
Nevertheless...I think everyone who passionately creates and/or problem-solves has occasional moments that float down as gifts from heaven---moments of insight and "happenstance" that feel like the hand of the Father on my head, and a whispered "this is the daughter whom I love."
A poem has been brewing in me for several days now (for those who don't "get" this...I have no other way to express it. I'm sorry.) I've been avoiding the birthing process. But when it's time--it's time. As I wrote my poem (which is not yet ready to be shared), I found myself in a Pygmalion metaphor--the Greek myth of the sculptor who fell in love with the statue he carved and who, through some interference of the gods, brought her to life. There's a lot more to the myth, and it's also the basis for the musical/movie "My Fair Lady."
Anyway, I got to a point in my poem where I referenced myself as Pygmalion's statue, but I couldn't remember her name. Thanks to Wikipedia, I quickly found her most used name: Galatea. I almost clicked back to my poem, but decided to read a bit further. Then I got to a sentence that read something like: "Goethe, in his version of the myth, named the statue "Elise" because of the "Dido/Elissa" connection."
And then I felt the blessing of the Father, as if he said, "What you are creating honors me. Your work is a part of my Kingdom."
Elise is my middle name.
And no, I don't know what the "Dido/Elissa connection" is. But I'm going to go find out.
9 years ago
3 comments:
Thank you for your brillance! I have hated My Fair Lady ever since the first time I saw it! It was the last scene that I would loathe...when she picks up his damn slippers. It all makes sense now! Maybe I can watch it again now. (oh, and the rest of your brillance was amazing as well) :)
I've always thought that final scene made sense. By the way, Gillian, I left my slippers in the living room this morning, so when you get home....
[Sorry, Annie, I know this is a totally inappropriate comment to put here, but I couldn't help it. And really, when has inappropriateness ever stopped me?]
Ken--
The first time you met me was when I told Dave, "That shirt really brings out your eyes. Of course, so would a fork."
Clearly, I believe appropriateness is entirely over-rated. Thanks for making me laugh. And for marrying my friend. :) Next time you and G fly to the Land o'Leslie, stop by! :)
Post a Comment