
I know that all you really want is photos, and I keep giving you ridiculous amounts of text. Sorry about that. I've been a horrific photo-taker. I was hoping to post photos of my time with David, but he has yet to send me ANY photos from the weekend. If you know him, apply appropriate social pressure, please.
Yesterday a coworker took me out to her village of Soissy-sur-Ecole. There are a thousand inhabitants, MAX, probably far less. However, it is home to a master glassblower. We watched the apprentices make glass paperweights: baseball sized glass balls with various colors of glass swirling inside of them. The garden will be gorgeous soon (and is quite quaint now). See more here. And checkout "galeries photos" and "le parc" under "divers."
The work reminded me a little bit of Chihuly, although Chihuly is a far grander artist--and really in a very different category.

I saw a beautiful Chihuly exhibit in Jerusalem in December 1999. Photos don't do it justice, 'cause it's all about how the sunlight interacts with the glass. However, the photos are beautiful and the website is extensive. If there is a Chihuly exhibit near you, it's worth seeing.

above: Israeli soliders listening to Chihuly explain his art work.
below: I couldn't help myself. Look at those eyes.

1 comment:
Chihuly's work is amazing! There is actually a Chihuly exhibit at a museum in Oklahoma City, which I hope to see sometime in the near future. I would love to watch a glass-blower in action, or even better, see some of Chihuly's artwork in Europe.
Post a Comment