1. Never say, "He's sick" in Turkey. Old women will hit you. Say, "He's ill."
2. Never tell South Africans that "honking a horn" would be a good way to get people's attention. After their eyes bug out of their heads, they'll laugh very hard (they have a better sense of humor than old Turkish women), and then they'll suggest other terminology which will make your eyes bug out of your head, before you laugh very hard. (assuming that 1. you're American and 2. you have a sense of humor).
3. Always greet Armenians. ALWAYS. Even if you have to leave what you're doing and go to the other side of the office, and even if they don't know who you are, but know you are there.
4. Several people, from several different countries, have expressed a profound unhappiness with the Turks. What DID those Ottomans DO?
5. If you are at a restaurant in France, and you have finished your meal, and you are offered coffee, and you refuse it (because it's already 10:00 p.m. and you were planning on sleeping in the next few hours), the waiter/waitresses will give you a very disgusted look, clearly communicating that those who refuse coffee are uncultured barbarians. If at least one person at the table takes coffee, this look will be radically reduced to mere boredom--which is more or less as good as it's going to get.
6. If there is something a little unusual about your visa situation, and you must leave the EU and re-enter again, do not re-enter through Germany. They don't like unusual paperwork. Re-enter through a country where the people are a tad more relaxed. (However, if you are in search of cleanliness and order--Germany is the place to go!)
7. Americans are loud. (People really can understand everything you're saying. So stop. Just stop.)
8. If you are babysitting a toddler and a baby, and they both wake up from their naps at the same time and want to play, one must stop blogging. Avoir!
9 years ago
2 comments:
Oh, the Ottomans only brought about the second largest genocide in the history of the world...that's all they did... kill about 400,000 Armenians. I would say that's a pretty good reason to dislike the turks.
And there's the fact that they refuse to do ANY international business with any countries that do not fully, officially renounce the idea of a genocide ever occurring.
Tuesday was the Day of Remembrance of the Armenian Genocide, and there were Armenians crawling the streets of LA that day. I was so confused as to why they were everywhere with signs, protesting. So, I called the best Armenian resource I have...Michelle! She told me what the fuss was all about. :)
And, yes, Americans ARE loud. I guess Ken and I would never cut it in Europe.
Ahhh... I had a feeling it was something like that. Thanks for the history lesson.
And Gillian--I'd travel with you and Ken in Europe because, you may be loud, but you're HILARIOUS. It is very hard to be annoyed while holding one's stomach from laughing too hard.
Post a Comment