For the next few weeks I'll be enjoying Paris, the French countryside, Lativa, Lithuania, Estonia and the company of good friends. I will also be experiencing (although not necessarily enjoying) too much time in the Stockholm airport, and my birthday.
So what shall I leave at the top of my blog for weeks to come? I thought about a pretty picture, or a inspiring bit of Scripture, or a soul-touching poem. But--I'm tired of pictures and poetry.
Instead, I will leave you with an idiosyncratic list of my favorite things (not to be confused with a show-tune). When I'm in the States again in December, it's a fair bet that I'll be experiencing all of these as soon as possible--except for the ones that are in Europe. Those I'll appreciate now.
Annie's favorites:
French confectionerie: La Doree, Paris
Band/musician: Alexander Nelson
Hungarian resturant: Szent Jupat's, Budapest
Fish tacos: Rubio's, SoCal
Potato tacos: Pedro's, San Clemente
Store with pants long enough for me: Banana Republic
Palacsinta: scary-mafia-owned cafe on Kertesz utca, Budapest
Creperie: Crepes-a-go-go, Walnut Creek
Dog: Jake--now living in Arizona (sorry, Shep!)
Greek restaurant: hole-in-the-wall place by the Orinda theater
London neighborhood: Bloomsbury
High modernist poet: T.S.Eliot
Hike: back-side of Mt. Diablo, out of Clayton (I guess if you live in Clayton, it would be the "front-side") and the Marin Headlands
Radio Station: KFOG 104.5 San Francisco, 97.7 San Jose, World Class Rock
Classical Composer: Johann Strauss (although Beethoven WAS the world's first rock star. And ALL the chickies would yell, "Ludwig! Ludwig!" --if you don't know, don't ask. It's not worth it)
Author: Ha! You must be joking!
Girls with Guitars: Indigo Girls
Musician old enough to be my (grand)dad: Van Morrison
Beer: Newcastle
Author: all right, all right. Here's a few: Mary Stewart, Faulkner, Simon Winchester, Helen McInnes, Clive Cussler, Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Shakespeare, T. S. Eliot, Tolstoy, Annie Dillard, Anne LaMott, Madeliene L'Engle, Austen, Raymond Chandler, David James Duncan, Eavan Boland, Nuala NiDhomnaill, Seamus Heaney, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkein ...
-------
Charles Williams, friend of Lewis and Tolkein, when asked for advice, would say:
Love
Obey
Pray
Play
and Be Intelligent.
Also, he wrote (somewhere),
"No mind was so good that it did not need another mind to counter and equal it, and to save it from conceit and bigotry and folly."
So...chew on those for awhile. I'll be back...eventually.
9 years ago
1 comment:
A. Shep is a saint.
B. I like sufjan stevens a lot... and will most likely pay an astronomical amount to see him play in LA.
C. Good choice on the crepes.
D. Im partial to South Kensington
E. The key to getting long pants isnt in the pants, its in the shoes. specifically high tops.
F. Eric Clapton is old enough to be my dad...as well as Bono.
Post a Comment