I've renamed this tournament "The Western European Former Colonial Powers Cup," as the remaining teams are France, Italy, Portugal and Germany. If Spain and England were included too--then the Colonial Powers would be complete...
We'd shorten it to "The WEFCP Cup." Wefsip. Who needs Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia or those pesky Western Hemisphere countries, anyway?
Well, my fans are clamouring for further commentary, and, as I will give my version of Saturday's games. It's been two days, and my morning coffee isn't kicking in--so don't expect play-by-play. It's all a bit hazy...
ENGLAND vs. PORTUGAL
This game can be summed up in five words: Wayne Rooney is an idiot. The French commentators said that Rooney forgot he was a soccer player, and became an English soccer hooligan, and that they had never seen such an act of violence on the field in 14 years of commentating. Generally, I consider the French opinion of the English to be a little suspect, but this time I don't doubt them much. Rooney was being overwhelmingly fouled by two Portugese players, but to lash back in front of the referee was stupid.
Portugal ran loops around England, especially after Beckham was side-lined with a knee injury. And Rooney's red card made the match 11 players against 10. England rode on pure dumb luck to a final score of 0/0, and Portugal won the shootout. I was rooting for England, and therefore I don't want to write about this match any more. It makes me sad.
BRAZIL vs. FRANCE
Allez les Bleus! Allez les Bleus! I knew that France was good, but I've always thought of Brazil as the international powerhouse, and I expected France to have an uphill battle.
The best Brazilian players play in the European leagues, so they were playing against their everyday competition (and some of their regular teammates). Ronaldinho, in fact, is on a billboard near my office, assuring me that he buys coffee for his team at the InterMarche grocery store.
Zinedine Zidane will retire after the World Cup, and so every game now could be his last. He is a major French hero (like Joe DiMaggio to Americans?), and as I drive through my town he assures me that he is very pleased with a certain insurance company. It's nice of him to advise his countrymen like that.
All told, the French played better soccer that the Brazilians. They passed better, and they looked more like a team. It has to be hard for these players to meld well, since they play together for this tournament only, and then go back to their regular leagues.
(As Sunday was a WC-less day, we satisfied ourselves with the movie Kicking and Screaming. Will Ferrell's character tells his 11-year-old soccer team that their one and only strategy is "pass to the Italians." On some of the WC teams, the strategy seems to be "pass to the pretty boy with all the endorsement deals." And then, when the pretty boy gets injured or gets flustered by a sudden realization that his hair gel is failing, the whole team goes to pot.)
Anyway-- The French goal, tapped in by Theirry Henry after a gorgeous swooping pass by Zidane, was lovely. Someone should make a sequel to "Bend it like Beckham" called "Zing it like Zidane." He did miss a couple penalty shots, but he'll be forgiven. Some American commentators are claiming that Zidane should get MVP of WC 2006 and Rooney should be the "Fool of the Tournament." At this point, I agree. But we've got some more soccer to watch.
On my 25-minute drive home Saturday night, every car we passed was blaring their horn and flashing their brights. Crowds of people were in the streets cheering and laughing. Good times.
Germany vs. Italy (aka "The Axis Game")
July 4th, to be watched after the Independence Day celebrations. I'm rooting for Germany (aka "the Motherland").
Portugal vs. France (aka "The Allied Game") **
Since so very few of the French players are ethnically French (and some are ethnically Portugese?), there's a standing joke around here that this game could get especially raucous since all the players speak the same language. Probably not entirely true, but funny anyway. Nancy (a frequent commentor on this blog) responded to my suggestion of "The WEFCP Cup" by pointing out that the ethnically-diverse French team brings "the world" into The World Cup. True. But not nearly as funny. :)
The Final (aka "WWII-redux")
I'm hoping for a France vs. Germany final. Although, it would be a boring to watch the French run off the field ASAP, and then beg the British, American and Russian players to play the game for them. (sorry, couldn't help myself.)
p.s. During half-time of the French game, we connected with our roots and threw around the ol' pigskin. Y'know, a "real" football. :)
**For Dad's sake, as he otherwise will challenge this as a misinterpretation of history: from Wikipedia: "Although Portugal remained officially neutral, the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance was invoked in World War II leading to the establishment of an Allied base in the Azores. Timorese and Portuguese civilians assisted Allied commandos in resisting the Japanese."
9 years ago
2 comments:
This is my favorite World Cup commentary/editorial ever! I love it!
Happy Fouth of July. I miss you - I am leaving Jersey tomorrow.
You MUST be a history major...
Happy driving!
Post a Comment