Thursday, September 7

Hey, I've been there!

Don't you love it when a travel publication tells you to go somewhere you've already been?

I've been here. The French are taking 30-ish years to construct a chateau-forte (what we Anglophones would call a good ol' castle) using only original methods. They're chipping their own stones, wrapping their own rope, dragging their own lumber---or at least leading the horses who are dragging the lumber...

Quite cool. Especially with bunches of overawed children.

Extra note, while reading the brochure at Guedelon, I learned the word "ferruginous," as in: "the castle is constructed from ferruginous sandstone." I chuckled when I read the word again in the CNN reporter's copy.

1 comment:

Virginia Living said...

I know! I was reading Travel & Leisure magazine the other day on the top places you should go in your lifetime and I had been to almost half of them! All before I was 30! Who knew I was so exotic. If only the other moms knew that about me when I'm changing my son's diapers. hee-hee.