human kind cannot bear very much reality -- t.s. eliot
Thursday, May 10
Feeling Guilty
So many of my blogger friends have me on their "links," and I went and dumped them all in the name of simplicity. And now I feel guilty. I love you, guys! I'm putting you back. Not now--but soon!
Not sure where to post this, it's a random question, so I figured here was as good a place as any. :) Can you recommend some of your favorite sites to stay up on world policies? I'm esp. interested in all that is happening in Europe these days, with the EU, etc. I would love to use some of my time during the day to keep abreast of more than US politics. Are there any mags that you read, too? Thanks!
Alot of my world knowledge comes from my job, but other than that...
I scan the headlines of cnn.com or reuters.com most days, and I read The Atlantic Monthly, which has a less-substantial political bent than most. Slate.com also has interesting articles sometimes.
I download the Fresh Air podcasts from NPR (they're free!). In my humble opinion, they dedicate WAY too much airtime to the Iraq war (most of which I skip over), but they have some good sessions too. I found the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour there, for which I am forever greatful. (Seriously, they're hilarious, even to people who aren't as "involved" in the M.E. as I am.)
I get the Smithsonian magazine and Books & Culture quarterly too, but they usually don't have much about international politics.
The BBC (either on TV or online) is a great spot for European news, and a non-American perspective on world news.
Der Spiegel, the major German newsmagazine (newspaper?), has an online international edition in English. I haven't spent much time there, but they'd have another European perspective.
http://www.spiegel.de/international
To be honest, I hide from national politics by being "global." I know I should be better, but I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to America. I admire people who can keep up with all the American leadership. I never know who the whips are, or who is on the Supreme Court.
I hope that helps! Great question, by the way. I had to wrack my brain to think about where I get my info. It's good to know what informing my opinions.
Awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to jot this stuff down. I get the Smithsonian, too, and have really enjoyed it (a gift from Judes :). I should have worded my question differently above...I don't really follow American politics too closely, just what I see on the Today show or online. I am just feeling more and more of a desire to be up on what is happening in the world. I took a class in college entitled "European History from 1965 until the Present" and got completely inundated with new information; it started a desire in me to read and know more, though, alas, I must say, I haven't read that much in the last 3 years.
3 comments:
Not sure where to post this, it's a random question, so I figured here was as good a place as any. :) Can you recommend some of your favorite sites to stay up on world policies? I'm esp. interested in all that is happening in Europe these days, with the EU, etc. I would love to use some of my time during the day to keep abreast of more than US politics. Are there any mags that you read, too? Thanks!
Suz--
Alot of my world knowledge comes from my job, but other than that...
I scan the headlines of cnn.com or reuters.com most days, and I read The Atlantic Monthly, which has a less-substantial political bent than most. Slate.com also has interesting articles sometimes.
I download the Fresh Air podcasts from NPR (they're free!). In my humble opinion, they dedicate WAY too much airtime to the Iraq war (most of which I skip over), but they have some good sessions too. I found the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour there, for which I am forever greatful. (Seriously, they're hilarious, even to people who aren't as "involved" in the M.E. as I am.)
I get the Smithsonian magazine and Books & Culture quarterly too, but they usually don't have much about international politics.
The BBC (either on TV or online) is a great spot for European news, and a non-American perspective on world news.
Der Spiegel, the major German newsmagazine (newspaper?), has an online international edition in English. I haven't spent much time there, but they'd have another European perspective.
http://www.spiegel.de/international
To be honest, I hide from national politics by being "global." I know I should be better, but I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to America. I admire people who can keep up with all the American leadership. I never know who the whips are, or who is on the Supreme Court.
I hope that helps! Great question, by the way. I had to wrack my brain to think about where I get my info. It's good to know what informing my opinions.
Happy reading!
Annie.
Awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to jot this stuff down. I get the Smithsonian, too, and have really enjoyed it (a gift from Judes :). I should have worded my question differently above...I don't really follow American politics too closely, just what I see on the Today show or online. I am just feeling more and more of a desire to be up on what is happening in the world. I took a class in college entitled "European History from 1965 until the Present" and got completely inundated with new information; it started a desire in me to read and know more, though, alas, I must say, I haven't read that much in the last 3 years.
Post a Comment