Friday, May 4

Still me...

I changed my look. I ditched Francis Bacon for Einstein (see above) and added some John Cusack (see below). I also got rid of my links, 'cause, honestly--most of you don't blog all that much anyway. I promise I'll still drop by.

My life is minimalist(-ish) these days: new food allergies limit my diet, job insecurity limits my planning, not having my own place keeps me from accumulating "stuff." The changed diet has also changed my clothing size, which leads to fewer "what to wear" decisions.

These are all good changes. And now they are reflected in my blog.



p.s. We Bay Area-ites stood by our Warriors when they were considered a non-entity within the NBA. Last night, we were vindicated! I am proud to remind you that I was nicknamed "Nellie" in high school after our Warrior coach; some people at school (population 99) believed "Nellie" was my first name. And I'm serious.

7 comments:

the isaacs said...

awww, minimalism. roby and i have attempted it many times and still find ourselves cluttery and packratish. sigh. glad to see positive changes happening in your life...sorry about the allergy and the rootlessness though...hopefully the positivity (is that a word? it should be) outways the negatives.
as for the list of books mentioned on your sidebar, i have only read two. Night was worth reading because of the insight into a world we will never truly understand, yet need to attempt to...although i didn't think the actual writing was anything spectacular. (i think i heard that in some of his other works the writing is better.) As for Things Fall Apart, i LOVE this book and highly recommend it to my peeps. I found myself underlining phrases written in unique ways, something i rarely do these days.
I have my eyes on The Time Traveler's Wife, the Dew Breaker, The Dogs of Babel, The Known World, and The Secret Life of Houdini. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Anonymous said...

While your "Nellie" nickname is great and all, I have the same first initial to match the last name.

Anonymous said...

Heth-- I haven't read any of the books on your list, but I've heard good things about The TIme Traveler's Wife. Let me know if any of them are worth reading...although, with my list, I'm trying to stop myself from buying/borrowing any books until I read what I already have. I'm re-reading Possession with some friends who are reading it for the first time. It's incredible and (predictably) so much better than the movie (no offense to Gwenyth). I think you've read it, but if not, I totally recommend it. It's by A.S.Byatt.

anonyme: the person who usually goes totally "anonyme" has a first initial which is the same as the "real" Nellie's last initial, which is what the comment seems to be claiming. However, the tone of the comment sounds much more like someone who shares a first initial and last name with the "real" Nellie. But that's not what the comment says? I'm confused. Are you?

The McKays said...

Thought I'd drop my two cents in here: The Time Traveller's Wife is excellent; the concept is unique and hard to follow at first, but you find your groove. My favorite thing was their love story spanning time and all their struggles. And it's set in Chicago. Annie, I'll have to check out some on your rec list. I have actually wanted to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for while as well as From Beirut to Jerusalem. I also read Night and found it very powerful, even though it's a skinny little book and I don't gravitate toward skinny reads.

the isaacs said...

eek! i spelled "outweighs" wrong...forgive me! :)

The McKays said...

well, I made several mistakes in my typing, so you aren't alone. I hate that, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Heth--

I didn't notice. :) Scott threatens to make me find the answers to Star Wars trivia as negative reinforcements for my habitual mistakes. It works almost as well as your stickers-as-positive-reinforcement. :)

Suz--
Thanks for the "thumbs up" on Night. And if you get to either of the other two before I do, let me know what you think. The photos of you and Mags from OK city were unbelieveably cute. Seriously, you Kirk girls are just TOO photogenic!