
The movie Once is being hailed and marketed as a musical, but it isn't at all what you're thinking. The story line, about two musicians getting some of their work recorded, necessitates music. Is there alot of music? YES. Is this a musical? Not really. (the photo above is from the soundtrack cover.)
That said, GO SEE THIS MOVIE. It's short on major dialogue. I don't remember any shots that aren't shakily hand-held. It's light on plot, but heavy on character, music, and mood. What's even more amazing, is the actor and actress who play the leads are moonlighting from their "real" jobs as professional musicians. They wrote and recorded all the music in the film. It won the World Dramatic award (or somesuch prize) at Sundance.
It's rated R because the characters--in traditional Irish fashion--are very fond of a certain expletive that we on this side of the pond take more seriously. Other than that one word, this would be a PG movie. Or maybe even G?
If you like Sophia Coppolla, you'll probably like this movie. If you don't like Sophia Coppolla, you still might like this movie. Any comments from those of you who've seen it?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0907657/
2 comments:
i totally cannot WAIT to see this.
Salut Annie,
I would like to see this one, at least once. ;) That was bad,I know. I'm not sure when it will come to Paris. I think Noel gave me your blog address. I look forward to reading more...
Bon et bel été,
Holly
p.s. So, do you miss Paris? How goes the job search? The Paschkes return at the end of July.
Post a Comment