Wednesday, October 17

Do I mumble?

When I answer my parents' phone, invariably the caller thinks that I'm my mother. Then I say, "No, sorry, this is her daughter Annie, may I take a message for her?" They either say, "Oh, Annie, I've heard of you ...." or, "Oh, sorry Amy, just tell her ...."

People I meet on the street (or the post office, or various shops) continually mistake my name for "Amy."

The receptionist at my old job called me "Amy" for six months, even though I consistently corrected her. After six months I was "hey you."

I have nothing against the name "Amy." I have a wonderful friend named "Amy" (that's you, New-bare). My mom wanted to name me "Amy," but my dad wouldn't let her name me after her horse. (yes. that's a true story.)

But, I think my name is simple. And I want people to get it right. ANNIE. My name is ANNIE. Thank you for listening.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yessssss... I've made the blog TWICE....

And while I am obviously a fan of the name "Amy", there's far too many of us these days and I just never see enough "Annie's" (Not sure how to work out that puncuation cluster back there, feel free to edit my comment.) Therefore, Annie, stand tall. You have a beautiful name. And I'll never call you Amy.

Anonymous said...

oh crap... ive been calling you Amy for the past 21 years.

Anonymous said...

Ames--

Hey, whatever happened to the "Adventures in Nursing" blog? Did it get shuffled to the bottom of the to-do list beneath "study infectious diseases," "learn to live with a boy," and "publicize the benefits of fake grass"?

See you soon! Do you have any free time between Friday 11/26 and Tuesday 11/30...that's when I'll be in town for Brookie and Matt's wedding. (That question applies to all my SoCal readers..) I'm staying with KB & fam.

Anonymous said...

Well, Adventures in Nursing is alive, I just haven't posted anything other than the inaugural post. I'm still unsure if anyone really wants to read about my extreme frustration with highly educated medical professionals and their INSISTENCE on blurring the line between "affect" and "effect" (generally, one's a noun, the other's a verb- pull your head out of the EKG machine and learn the difference!!!!!!!!), alcoholics projectile vomiting blood, and the resurgence of my "overuse of antibiotics by idiots is killing us" platform. It's a narrow audience. Plus, there are no pics. That whole HIPAA thing is REALLY a damper.

And yes, I'll be around- I got Fridays off until the end of the semester (starting in a week.)

The McKays said...

people call me "Susan" all the time and they have the audacity to ask me what the differnce is between "Susan" and "Suzanne." come on, really? it's not just a few letters, it's the sound.

Shannon gets called "Janet" all the time. Must be the way she says her name when giving it for coffee orders or what not.

Anonymous said...

Well, you know that you will ALWAYS have my vote with your name. First of all, "Annie" was my childhood hero, and second of all, you're another of my heros, and thirdly, hopefully that will be the name of my next child, if it's a girl. :) (not that it's coming any time soon...one is quite enough for the time being...just didn't want to create any questions there).