So, are any of you familiar with the medieval morality play Everyman? I had heard about it, and understood the historical background, etc., but I had never read it until this morning.
I will spare you the full literary exposition, but basically it's an allegory (think Pilgrim's Progress) and it ends with Everyman going to the grave accompanied only by his "friend" Good Deeds. They will soon face the judgement seat where Good Deeds will affect whether or not Everyman will go to heaven or hell.
At least, I think that's what happens. ?? A local Christian high school is performing Everyman as their Spring production, and I volunteered to help the drama teacher with the production. Since auditions are this afternoon, I took some time before work this morning to sit down with the script and familiarize myself with it. I read the beginning and the end carefully and skimmed the middle.
I'm disturbed that a Christian high school is putting so much emphasis on (what seems to me to be) clearly bad theology. I have no problem studying Everyman in class as an example of medieval and/or Elizabethan literature. It is a clear explanation of English theology of the day. But students will spend hours and hours and hours meditating upon the script and its theme of works-based salvation as they memorize the lines and rehearse...and I don't think I like that...
But, my opinion is on VERY shaky ground, and I would love some input/insight. I'm going to talk to the drama teacher about her choice at some point, but I'm going to have to choose my time and tone carefully. I'll update this post when I talk to her (and perhaps before then as well...)
UPDATE: I had a really great talk with the teacher. Talking through the theology of this play is going to be a big part of the rehearsal process. I learned a few interesting tidbits from her. First, "good deeds" is often translated as "virtues," which made me think of the "treasures we store up in heaven." Also, this everyman , rather than being an average person of the world, is a representation of a church-goer who has forgotten God and turned religion into a series of traditions and habits. This isn't a call to salvation, but a call to repentence and a renewed relationship with God. That all makes me more comfortable with the play. The intelligence the students bring to the process is encouraging as well.
9 years ago
3 comments:
Wow! That's a tough one, Annie. I am not familiar with the piece but from what you write I can see why you want to address it to the teacher.
After reading the text maybe it would be a good opportunity to dialogue with the cast the difference between Romans, "By grace you have been saved...." and James, "faith without works is dead."
Also, in the program maybe these verses could be included with a brief summary or explanation.
I don't know....maybe rotten ideas but just what came to my head at the momment.
Please keep us posted.
Debbie P.
Annie! It's Betsy from Duna! How are you? I got a link to your blog through Dawn's blog. I've read a few of your entries. How's it going? I hope all is well!
Betsy
STEADMAN!
I've been thinking of you, what with all of us post-Hungarians blogging away...
email me sometime!emailannieinfrance@yahoo.com
Boldog Karacsonyt!
Post a Comment