I love my new job. I was so extremely exhausted last night that I fell asleep before 9 and slept through 10 minutes of my musical alarm clock this morning. Tonight I'm still tired, but awake enough to do email and blogging! :) So, here are my thoughts after two days back teaching high school:
17-year-olds are stinkin' hilarious.
I love my new password for the school computer system.
Benjamin Franklin is not nearly as boring as when I read him in high school.
Teenagers notice everything.
Number one rule of classroom management: like the kids.
It's way harder to spell when writing on an overhead projector.
It's hard to feel sorry for students who whine about an 8:30 start after 7:30 teacher meetings four days a week!
Teachers aren't blind or deaf. We really can see those passed notes, etc. It's
just usually not worth disturbing class to deal with it.
You're never too old to appreciate gold stars on your homework.
Standing all day on linoleum makes your knees hurt.
Smart teachers don't assign busy work: busy homework means busy grading!
I prefer teaching students who can, and do, wipe their own noses.
I teach almost 100 17-year olds. Did I mention that they're outrageously funny? (I usually manage to suppress my laughter, class must go on!) And my Freshmen are cute. So very, very cute.
9 years ago
1 comment:
Amen to the difficulty of spelling on an overhead projector (or white-board, or in any public manner!).
Glad to hear you're off to a positive start. It is fun when you do actually like them - and I like mine too.
Post a Comment