It was small, but close, which I why I felt it so strongly. It had an aftershock, which I didn't feel, so I can probably sleep soon.
When I moved to the Midwest, I couldn't figure out why everyone talked about the weather so much until I realized it's because, back there, the weather can KILL YOU. Now back in my hometown, discussions about Richter scales, earth displacement, jerks vs. rolls, quake depth, and soil composition are treated lightly by transplants. We oldtimers just shake our heads at their naivete. Proper respect for said topics will be shaken into them--eventually, and literally.
So, while I've been waiting to see if the quake that woke me was a pre-shock of "the Big One," I found cheery maps like the one below at the usgs (United States Geological Survey--for those of you not living in earthquake country). This one gives, in vivid color, the likelihood that the ground beneath my home will "liquefy" during a major earthquake. Imagine what happens at the beach when you stand on very wet sand: how it slowly turns to "quicksand" and starts to suck you down. Yeah. That's liquefaction.

I'm on the border between "moderate chance" and "no chance." There's no border ground of "minimal chance." Figures.
4 comments:
Oh wow! I just got your comment and rushed over to see why you were up at 2 a.m.... glad it was a small one.
By the way, do you still have that list of things that we loved about Sweden? I need to add to it, and then try to convince you to move there with me. I LOVE SWEDEN. I kid you not, the men, every single one of them, are beautiful - tall, gawky, a bit geeky/intellectual. We must move there and marry Swedish men, okay?
Oh, and the clean cities, gorgeous rocky coasts, precise and elaborate public transportation systems don't hurt either. Come on, run away to Sweden with me!
Hey no need to convince me! I'm there in a heartbeat (other than that whole "learning Swedish" thing. I'm having a hard enough time separating my tidbits of Spanish, French and Hungarian!)
I posted my list August 7, 2006. I'm still awake...
Dude, they all speak the English really well. We could probably sneak by for at least a couple years unnoticed. :)
Post a Comment