Tuesday, March 4

Nerves

My students are all a flutter because I'm giving them a monster test this week that is, in essence, their midterm, although we're three weeks before "midterms."

I understand their nerves: this test will be 25% of their overall grade for the quarter.

What is surprising me is how nervous I am. This is a test for me to see if I taught them anything. Are all my plans for nought, or are bits of information seeping through their skulls? For the ones who do badly, how much of that will be my fault for not teaching them well, and how much will be their fault for not applying themselves? I don't want to be so prideful as to think it is all about me, but I don't want to be so blase as to think that it's not about me AT ALL.

I'm biting my fingernails (figuratively, I've never really done that in real life)! Please study, my dear young students, please study!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie,

There is no doubt in my mind that you fully and properly prepared those students for the exam. Don't forget that they are responsible for preparing outside of class. Some of them will fall short of your (and their) expectations and they may need to.

Betsy

ARN said...

Tell them all they're a bunch of pansies if they don't do well- I just studied an unholy amount of hours over 5 consecutive days for my midterm and got the grade I wanted. They'll get the grade they earn. And you're a great teacher. Can I be in your class? I'm tired of nursing interventions- I want to write essays!