Tuesday, April 15

books, part 48

My Dream of You--I had to finish it to find out what happened, but it's really not worth one's time. It has some nice insights into Ireland and the Irish, but even on that level I can't recommend it whole-heartedly.

Y'know how sometimes you get a silly crush on an actor, and then you watch movies/TV shows just because he's in them, even though you KNOW the shows really aren't that good? (Which explains why I record Dark Angel and own a copy of America's Sweethearts. Or is it just me?) The same thing is going on with me and Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott. I have, historically, really enjoyed Anne Lamott's nonfiction. Bird by Bird and Traveling Mercies are simply wonderful. Grace (Eventually) reads like a collection of the chapters that weren't good enough for Traveling Mercies. I read the whole book, and I'll even keep it in my library, but if it was by an author less dear to my heart, I wouldn't.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

No silly crushes on actors here...

(cough) Jason Segel-Dennis Quaid-Michael Vartan-John Krasinski-Wentworth Miller-Mark Ruffalo-Joaquin Phoenix (cough, cough)