"At this point in our lives, everyone we know or ever heard of has a baby. I'm telling you, babies are unbelievably popular. Bigger than the Hula Hoop.
"And for people who have babies, it's not enough that they have babies: They want you to have a baby. ...
"They have this Nonstop Life Momentum, and they insist you play. When you're single, they nag you: 'When are you going to get married?' When you get married, it's: 'When are you going to have a kid?' ...
"What is the rush with everybody? What do they--need my spot?
"I think they just want the company. In case they don't enjoy it, they won't be the only ones who made a huge blunder with their lives. This way, they can drag you down with them. 'You should really have a kid, you don't know what you're missing.'
"Sure I do. What am I--blind? I see what goes on, and it's not entirely appealing."
--Paul Reiser
10 years ago
1 comment:
No need to appologize. Very funny. IMO it is very much the perspctive of a man. Not so easy to be this nonchalant about this topic as a woman, eh? I remember my womb literally aching when I saw a baby. Oh how I wanted one of those....
Now I have 'em and LOVE 'em and would like another but my first was NOT a Hallmark like experience. Think screaming, crying, wailing(by both of us) ALL DAY LONG. I remember reading Dawn's blog(Hello, Dawn!) and seeing her take Lucy to Baseball games, different outings etc. Babies can do that!? Not MY first. FAR too stressful. FABULOUS little boy now but first year was pure Hades and after that was better but not easy.
Anyway, just to say, when I see young couples get starry-eyed when expecting their first I always think, "Dear Lord, Please give them an easy one." No pressure from me to produce.
Kids are GREAT but HARD WORK. The feeling though when you put all that work in and see the new skill or character trait come out is one of amazing satisfaction and thankfulness.
Still a long way to go....
Debbie
Post a Comment