School starts tomorrow. I've been in a Benadryl-haze all day trying to fight a sinus infection. Yuck. I'm trying to compose an opening day inspiring lecture. So far I've come up with: "Be quiet, I've got a headache." Do you think that is going inspire young minds?
No really, the lecture is going along the lines of "Why do we study American literature? Plato explained it best when he encouraged his students to 'know thyself.' It's true on the personal level, but it's also true on the cultural level. As Americans, we need to know who we are, which means knowing from whence we came. Who are these people who shaped the way that you think, the way that you live, the way that you see the world? Until you know where you came from, you cannot clearly see where you are going."
Also, student government officers asked me to lead a girls' session at our all school retreat next week about beauty. I've been putting some thoughts together. If you're a praying type, pray that I'll have the right things to say.
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment