The Scarlet Letter--I actually really like this book! For years I dreaded it and avoided it, but in the end I liked it. I even have students who like it, although they are far outnumbered by those who don't. I'm still wondering about the best way to teach it to those who don't want to learn, or who are predisposed to dislike this novel, or novels in general. Hmmm. Any suggestions?
A Walk in the Woods-- I love Bill Bryson and this is him in prime form. It chronicles his adventures walking the Appalachian Trail. A must read for those who like the outdoors and/or travel lit. Caveat: Bryson developed a very "English" vocabulary while living in the UK. Some words may offend American sensibilities.
Shadow of the Wind--GORGEOUS BOOK. Read it now. All of you. At once.
In the Presence of the Enemy--I love Elizabeth George mysteries, which I have mentioned before. However, this isn't the one to start with. It doesn't give much character development or explanation for the recurring characters, so if you don't already know them, you'll be confused.
10 years ago
7 comments:
Can't help you with The Scarlet Letter from what I remember, but perhaps like all vegetables from my childhood, I should revisit it now that I'm older and relatively more grown up.
And I'm a HUGE fan of Bill Bryson- and his wonderfully offensive English vocabulary.
Is that my book?!? Well, I have Axis of Evil.
No, I did not steal your Bryson book, although I did read most/all of In a Sunburned Country while at your house.
YOU HAVE AXIS OF EVIL!!! ARGH.
I can't be too angry. I hadn't missed it. If I can't have it, then it couldn't be in a better place.
annie, you rock my world! you just gave me the perfect idea for my a gift for my sis-in-law this Christmas. She and my bro have been considering hiking the Appalachian Trail, so i bet she would appreciate A Walk in the Woods! Thanks!
Heth--
Happy to oblige! If we still had a book club, I'd suggest this one, or Shadow of the Wind. Merry Christmas!
couple of things:
1. the book club i just joined voted to read The Scarlet Letter for january. no joke. :) it was totally one of my cliff's notes books from high school. (trusting you like me enough already to not judge me for cliff's notes usage as a teenager). it's been 17 years or so so i think i am ready to give it another go.
2. who is the author of shadow of the wind? i was looking for it today at the library, found an author for that title with a "z" last name - but couldn't find the book. and is it a mystery? and which e. george mystery is the best to start with?
p.s. this is dawn.
Yes, The Shadow of the Wind is written by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. He wrote it in Spanish. I wish I was cool enough to have read it in the original, but whoever translated it into English really did a wonderful job.
I can't remember which E. George mystery got me started. Well, that's not quite true. I initially got hooked through the BBC series based on the books. I'd start at the beginning of the series with A Great Deliverance (1st) or Payment in Blood (2nd). Like CSI or any other cop show, the detective and his close circle remain the same, and the books follow their lives, in addition to the mystery. There's one book that takes place amidst the drug and strip club scene in London, which I didn't like, but the rest have been good.
There are two authors named Elizabeth George. The other is a Christian novelist.
Here's a link to the Wikipedia site, but there are a couple spoilers in the brief entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_George
Thanks for the info! The other E. George is a novelist? Hmm, maybe there's a third. Elizabeth George is my favorite female Christian Bible study writer. She does the Woman After God's Own Heart series, and has lots of other great books about Christian living.
Post a Comment