I want to put this diplomatically, since I know and love many So-Calers, and since I lived down there for several years.
Every week I sit in chapel with my students and listen to local youth pastors give talks to our kids. I've noticed a trend: most youth pastors from So-Cal are under the impression that bragging about their background will gain them "cool" points with teenagers. Unfortunately, this is not the case.
While we northerners are happy to welcome those who venture on up, we are quite proud of being from the North. So, welcome. But realize you are in a new culture, a culture that has little interest in the one you came from. If you want to have an influence, know your audience, and shut up about LA and Orange County--you think it's cool, we think it's dorky. Almost as dorky as the word "dorky." (Although, for those northerners who know Orange County, San Clemente usually gets a pass. It loses points for being in Orange County, but is usually considered the only decent place to live south of Santa Barbara and north of San Diego.)
P.S. Surfing metaphors don't work up here.
10 years ago
4 comments:
FYI- I hate it when South OC youth pastors do that down HERE! I think there's a time and place for sharing your testimony, but sometimes I think sharing wild child days to a group of impressionable, hormone-crazed kids sends an underlying message that maybe they can screw up now and get it figured out later.
And yes, San Clemente is AWESOME. We're going to secede from the OC, ignore SD, and set up our own county- Awesome County.
Yeah, it's kinda like in the "true love waits" chapels (don't EVEN get me started on that title) when married people get up and tell kids how great sex is, and then tell them to wait until they are married. Seriously. Not a good strategy.
In defense of the O.C., I love Irvine, a master planned city which I've heard that they use as a template for city planning around the world. (it's on wikipedia, I know, highly reliable source.) Turtle _____(I forgot the name) park in Irvine is the best place for a long run.
Anyway, I love San Clemente too, you're right it's paradise.
Princess-- Well, I guess that depends what one thinks of "master planned cities." Call me a Berkeley-born snob ('cause I am one) but I like things more organic, natural, and community-created, rather than cookie-cutter "master-planned" by some corporate development conglomerate. Not that I feel strongly about that or anything... :)
Except for Bluth Development. That's one development company I support. :)
Post a Comment