Wednesday, September 16

Flight

You are reading my third attempt at this entry. I keep circling the issue at heart, each time coming closer. If my story involved only me, I'd tell it. But, it is mostly someone else's story, so I must keep the details private.

I don't understand "fight or flight." Or, to be closer to the truth, I don't understand "flight." I'm neither a fast runner nor a strong fighter. However, in childhood scuffles I discovered that flight always turned into fight, so I might as well save my strength and skip the run. In other fights--social, spiritual, emotional--I always fight. I may not have a warrior's physique, but I have a warrior's heart, and I will fight until I'm humiliated, which rarely happens. I tend to win my battles.

As a warrior, I don't understand the flight/hide/die tendency. I don't understand those who wave the white flag. Surrender is for the weak. As for the wrong, they mustn't stop fighting, but simply trade teams. Fight for the right.

I've battled. I'm scarred from those battles. I have (with God's strength) dragged my wounded self across metaphorical miles--but I don't remember ever giving up mid-fight. I finished the fight. I finished my assignment. Then, I sought the med-tent.

I don't understand quitting.

I don't understand flight.

No comments: