Why is it that one may buy a lovely hardback classic novel for $3.95, but must pay $10 to watch a poorly produced retelling of said novel at the local movie theatre? But I digress . . .
I just finished reading The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, which, while it is predictably imperialistic, had a couple good lines:
Because I'm a rhetor:
"Why on earth people who have something to say which is worth hearing should not take the slight trouble to learn how to make it heard is one of the strange mysteries of modern life."
and
Because I'm a traveler:
"There's many a man who never tells his adventures, for he can't hope to be believed. Who's to blame them? For this will seem a bit of a dream to ourselves in a month or two."
p.s. we're still looking for a good name for the no-name dog. Current favorites: George (Shoreline folks, don't tell George-the-pastor!), Dodge, Jonah, and, as Roby Isaac suggested, "the fat man" (since we already have a Jake).
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment