Monday, September 26

A fellow San Franciscan

I
I
Jack London's Credo
I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dryrot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
I
I
Two notes:
First: As both London and I grew up on the east side of the Bay, some would argue that neither of us are true "San Franciscans." Well, this is my blog. So there.
Secondly, true literary historians would point out that this credo (other than the first line) has not survived in print, or in London's own hand, and therefore could be a creation of his stepbrother or a journalist. To them I say: chill out.

No comments: