Sometimes I feel like I have a serious mood disorder in my relationship with the Lord. One day I'm praising him, and the next I'm angry, stubborn, stamping my foot at him. And then I'm joyful again. Well, if this is crazy, I'm in good company. The switch between Psalms 63 and 64 (both psalms of David) is striking. And I put in Psalm 61, 'cause I couldn't help myself. These are from The Message paraphrase.
Psalm 61:3-8
3You've always given me breathing room,
a place to get away from it all,
4A lifetime pass to your safe-house,
an open invitation as your guest.
5You've always taken me seriously, God,
made me welcome among those who know and love you.
6Let the days of the king add up
to years and years of good rule.
7Set his throne in the full light of God;
post Steady Love and Good Faith as lookouts,
8And I'll be the poet who sings your glory--
and live what I sing every day.
Psalm 63:1-4
1God--you're my God! I can't get enough of you!
I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God,
traveling across dry and weary deserts.
2So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
drinking in your strength and glory.
3In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains.
4I bless you every time I take a breath;
My arms wave like banners of praise to you.
Psalm 64:1-4
1Listen and help, O God. I'm reduced to a whine
And a whimper, obsessed
with feelings of doomsday.
2Don't let them find me--
the conspirators out to get me,
3Using their tongues as weapons,
flinging poison words,
poison-tipped arrow-words.
4They shoot from ambush,
shoot without warning,
not caring who they hit.
10 years ago
1 comment:
Psalm 69 (especially in the NRSV)Pulls on my heart in crazy times. Especially times of greif. I wonder how greif and culture shock are related?
"Save me o God, for the waters have come up to my neck."
Post a Comment