Last night I saw Marie Antionette, the new movie by Sophia Coppola. I highly recommend it, but with the caveat that it is an artsy, not-much-dialogue movie (like most Sophia Coppola films). It was fun to watch it in a French theatre with French subtitles. It is a very historically accurate personal biography--it stays away from politics, which is nice for a change, and sticks to her day-to-day life.
Here's a bit of education for the day (at least it was for me): I just learned that if Marie Antoinette ever said "let them eat cake"--which is unlikely--it really isn't as harsh a statement as it seems. You see, the complaint was that the peasants didn't have enough flour for bread, and she (possibly might have, but quite unlikely) replied: let them eat brioche, which is a sweet bread that requires less flour. Considering that she was an absolutely sheltered woman who was never allowed to see or hear what was happening in her adopted country (she was Austrian by birth--the youngest dauther of Empress Maria Theresa), her brioche comment doesn't sound all that terrible.
9 years ago
7 comments:
Too bad you already saw it or I would be happy to go with you. :) I doubt we'll be getting such arty fare here in Klaipeda (home of the new mega multiplex).
So, help me with a travel dilema... I have to spend an overnight at Stanstead airport on my way to Spain next Wednesday. Since I'm saving a LOT of lodging money on this trip, and spending one night on a train, I'm contemplating shelling out the big bucks to stay in a nice hotel that night. Opinion?
I say do it. For me at least, stress ruins trips and I'd rather be relaxed, enjoy my trip, and spend a bit more money, that be cheaper, stressed, and unhappy.
But that's just me. Some people thrive on the adventure of the unexpected (then again, sometimes I feel like my whole life is an unexpected adventure!)
I passionately want to see the new Pirates movie(on the other end of the spectrum from MA and therefore proof of my well-roundedness:)--if you were so inclined, we could work it into our travel plans. :)
Glad for the good rec. I very much enjoyed Copola's LIT.
Pirates was good, though I must say that #1 was a bit better; however, it seems a bit unfair to pick a choose a favorite because I really see them all as a trilogy (when number 3 comes out). It's like the Harry Potter books (have you read?)--you have to look at them as a set, imo. Ramblings...
I love the Harry Potter books, although I made the mistake of reading #2 first, which then made #1 feel like a repeat. But ever since I've been very happy.
Pirates opens here next week, but I'm going to try to go during the "3 euro movies for three days" annual event in late-August. Otherwise movies are 10 euros (13 dollars!). Ick.
Two years later, thought I'd chime in and say I liked this movie too. I think I like Kirsten Dunst as an actress more than I realize. I really enjoyed the movie, a perfect one to watch alone in bed on a rainy day.
I just bought MA at a used CD/DVD store. My mom and I watched it a couple nights ago. She doesn't sit still well, and I think she was bored by the end (yes, I'm talking about my MOTHER, not a toddler), but I still love it.
And, by the way, I love these comments on ancient posts! How fun! I hope you have the automatic-comment-responses options clicked!
ha ha, no i didn't click those options. now i'm searching for your patty griffin "be careful" post so i can link to it. bwah!!
Post a Comment