Wednesday, September 13

Je n'existe pas

There comes a day in the life of every expatriate in France, when the words "Vous n'existez pas," are delivered by some kind-hearted (or not) French bureaucrat.

I was tired last night, and looking forward to crashing on my couch and reading Michener's Alaska, and going to bed early. I stumbled in the door, dropped all my stuff, and opened the fridge to get something to drink. The light wasn't on inside, and I groaned at the hassle of having to deal with a broken refrigerator. Then another thought crossed my mind...I tried the lights--nothing. I looked at my bedside clock--nothing.

On the way up, I had checked my mail, and there was a hand-written scrawled note from my power company that I couldn't read (due to bad hand-writing, not my lack of French), but I had assumed it was something about the power being cut off for a bit on some future date.

Not so much.

So, instead of curling up on my couch and spending a quiet evening with a book, I called around, found a friend with an empty guest room, and moved in for the night.

In the mess of trying solve what happened, today I heard the key words: "You don't exist." While the colloquial translation would be something like, "You're not in our system," hearing the phrase "Vous n'existez pas" is anything but encouraging.

So, I am without electricity until an unknown date, which is further complicated because I have to call to cancel it in two weeks, since I'm only there until Hallowe'en. Last night as I drove to Marie's, I had the premonition that I might have spent my last night in my apartment without knowing it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

power comes back on tomorrow.

AlleLU! (to quote a former roommate.)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy you get your power back soon! You do indeed exist...remember that for every snotty French person you come across, there are hundreds of people back home who love you and are happy you exist!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I must have REALLY made the electricity fairy angry, because now I have to wait ANOTHER day and pay a fine.

Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Fine? What for? Existing? Not that you would have forgotten to pay the bill. Maybe you're squatting and they finally found out. Is the year almost up?

Anonymous said...

I got a fine for not being there when they came by to turn on the power. Since they turned it off without my presence, I thought they could turn it on without my presence.

One should not use logic in these situations.

As to why the power went off in the first place: there was an honest misunderstanding, and somehow they turned on the electricity in the beginning without knowing my name, and so couldn't bill me. I couldn't pay the bills I wasn't receiving. Since I didn't pay the bills, they turned off the power.

I heard bills would cover up to 4 months, and then could come up to a month after that. So I didn't start questioning why I wasn't getting a bill until a couple weeks ago. Yuck.

Patrice & Martin said...

allelu