I am returned from vacation and a work trip. I've been in England and Florida, and I'll let you decide which was which. :) While in England I visited our favorite Isle of Wight-ians and had a lovely time. Quite smashing, really. I'll post photos later--left my camera at home today. Oops.
These last few weeks have been a series of closing chapters for me, some of which I had thought were already closed, and I was a little shocked to realize I hadn't actually finished with them. Seeing Patrice happy and settled on the IOW somehow was a final coffin-nail to my life in San Clemente. That makes it sound like a bad thing, but it wasn't. It was good.
I visited bunches of friends of in Orlando, and saw how their lives are moving on and settling in and it was good to see that they are thriving--or soon will be. Again, another nail in the SC-coffin, and another healthy step for me.
In the midst of all of this time in the English-speaking world, I moved from total fear and desolation about the future to hope and excitement.
Then I returned to France, and I have settled somewhere in the middle. I'm more hopeful than I was, but again a bit worried.
Another closure: I've moved out of my apartment and into the apartment of a friend on furlough. So, I'm living out of suitcases for the next seven weeks. Fun.
I've witnessed my friends' lives moving on, and it gives me hope that mine will also.
More photos and stories later. Jet-lag is stopping up my creativity at the moment.
----------------------------------
P.S. THIS is a fabulous 90-second history of the Middle East.
P.P.S. My dad sent me this email forward, which made me laugh. Is it fair? no. funny? I think so.
The British have reacted to the recent terrorism alerts by raising their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940, when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been recategorized from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666.
Also, the French Government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.
It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides."
The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."
Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday, as is customary, and the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.
9 years ago
1 comment:
Wow - what a life you lead, Annie! We still miss our CA friends, but not so much time to miss them anymore... We thought the e-mail forward was very funny! (not pc, but VERY funny) :)
Post a Comment