Tuesday, January 2

pictures of me

Patrice wanted more pictures of me, which are rather rare, since I don't really feel a need to take pictures of myself. BUT, here are a few from my trip with my mom...



Above: Bogi was one of my students when I taught in Budapest. We had dinner at St. Jupat's, and had a really hard time getting a good picture, because the flash kept bouncing off of the high-gloss wood behind us. So, this one is sans flash, and a bit too dark.



Mom and me on top of Gellert Hill in Budapest. It was chilly, hence the pink cheeks. I adore this beautiful city. Gellert Hill is so named because long, long ago Bishop Gellert made some people mad, so they put him in a barrel and threw him down the steep hill into the Danube. Later, someone felt remorse and named the hill after him. So, he gets remembered for centuries rather than sinking into oblivion. I think I'd rather be forgotten than stuffed in a barrel and hurled off of a cliff.


Mom and me at Fontainebleau. It was the second home of the Kings of France (and Napolean). In my humble opinion, it's WAY cooler than Versailles: Fontainebleau is older and still has Napoleonic furnishings (unlike bare-roomed Versailles) and it still has art and wall-hangings that survived the 1789 revolution. All of the beautiful grounds are free and open to the public, while only part of Versailles' are free. So, next time you are in Ile-de-France, go to Fontainebleau and take the audio-tour. It's worth it.

No comments: