Thursday, April 19

minutiae and beauty

Down in the comments somewhere, I told Heather (and all of you) that I was preparing another word-peeves post. This is it. However, I'm also feeling a need to surround myself with beauty today (life has been ugly this week), so I'm also posting some prettiness.

But first the grammar: today's peeves are: "me vs. myself" and "use vs. utilize." Some people think that if they use more syllables they will sound smarter. It's not true. To those who know their grammar, the mis-user sounds a bit pompous (in my humble opinion). So, here are abbreviated versions of the explanations I have given my classes:

Rule #1: Use the simplest word possible when choosing between synonyms (or near-synonyms whose difference is inconsequential to the discussion). Use "use" over "utilize." Choose "chew" over "masticate," "house" over "domicile." Often this means choosing the Anglo-Saxon word over the Latin (French) word. Writing and speaking are about COMMUNICATION. The easiest way to communicate is to use the simplest words possible.

Rule #2: Use the fewest and most descriptive words. Choose "ambled," "meandered" or even "poked along" over "walked kinda slowly." While little difference lies between "chew" and "masticate," there is a major descriptive difference between "walk" and "amble." And the one word "amble" is better than "walk" accompanied by a bunch of descriptive adverbs. (This rule can also eliminate cliches.)

Rule #3: While rule #1 may prevent the improper use of "myself," a more specific rule concerns reflexive pronouns (myself, himself, themselves). "Reflexive" has the same root as "reflect," and refers to situations where an action is reflected back on the act-er. I saw myself. He wrote himself a reminder note. She bought roses for herself. However, some people will say "The package was sent to Jim, Bill and myself." NO NO NO. There is no reflexive action here. It should be: "...to Jim, Bill and ME." Some make this mistake because they are scared of misusing "me" and "I" and think that "myself" is a safe third option. It's not.

Any questions? Have I scared you yet? Here are some pretty pictures to heal your wounds after that grammatic blast. Prints of the first and third hang in my home. The originals are all at the National Gallery in London.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, I JUST looked up the difference between affect and effect to make sure I got it correct for my paper. While I was at dictionary.com I thought, why not check annie's blog? Unfortunatly you did not have advice on affect/effect so i returned to dictionary.com.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

My trick for remembering that "affect" is the verb form and "effect" is the noun form is to use the phrase "cause and effect" in a sentence. Then I realize that "effect" is a noun, and so therefore the verb must be "affect."

I am BETTER than dictionary.com, because I will answer all your grammar questions personally via blog, email, text or phone. But the turn-around isn't quite so fast, and I expect presents on Christmas.