Sunday, April 27

Sunburnt

I'm not going to post a picture, because I don't want such a vivid reminder of what I look like right now.

I haven't had a real sunburn in YEARS and YEARS, but I do now! After 3-and-a-half hours in harsh Malibu sun at my brother's graduation, I'm fried to a crisp. I'm burned all over, both where I remembered to apply sunscreen and where I didn't. It was so hot and bright that we got (lesser) sunburns THROUGH OUR CLOTHES. Seriously. And our clothes weren't especially gauzy.

Ouch. ouch. ouch.

On another note, I've listened to about a third of Empire Falls as I drove to and from the graduation. It's an entertaining epic, but falls a bit short of revelatory. It's pretty obvious what's going to happen, and now it's just a matter of waiting for the inevitable to unfold.

I finished Travels with my Aunt by Graham Greene. I absolutely recommend it. Its characters will stay with you for days after you finish it. It's light and dear and poignant and not at all sappy or stale. Good book. I put it in my library, rather than give it away, which is not common with paperbacks.

No comments: