Saturday, July 5

Guess the author

"It is sadly curious to observe how slight a taste of [governmental] office suffices to infect a poor fellow with this singular disease. Uncle Sam's gold...[has] a quality of enchantment like that of the Devil's wages. Whoever touches it should look well to himself, or he may find the bargain to go hard against him, involving, if not his soul, yet many of its better attributes; its sturdy force, its courage and constancy, its truth, its self-reliance, and all that gives the emphasis to manly character."


HINT: MAJOR AMERICAN AUTHOR

HINT #2: major pre-civil war American author in his introduction to a classic novel often forced upon students in Am. Lit. or AP English.


(I have one regular reader with an unfair advantage. You know who you are, and don't give it away too soon!)

10 comments:

Dawn said...

alright, i'll bite (and risk looking the fool):

William Faulkner?

Mark Twain?

Go easy on me.

annie said...

No, but very good guesses and definitely on the right track. Anyone else.

(And Dawn, extra points for being the first to text.)

annie said...

"to text"? What? That was supposed to read "to post."

Yeesh.

Anonymous said...

Okay, my turn to be the fool.

Who is...Jack London. Oh! Not JEOPARDY! Ok. Jack London is still my answer.

Deb P.

Dawn said...

Debbie, that is so funny because seriously, yesterday's final Jeopardy 'answer' was "Who is Jack London". Did you see it? I'm not making it up.

Jen said...

I know I'm the one with the unfair advantage - do you want me to say? I have a hunch it's a certain book you used to accuse me of "afflicting" upon students every time I taught Am Lit. :)

Anonymous said...

So funny! I WISH I could watch Jeopardy. Love those quiz shows even if I couldn't buy a Big Mac with my earnings.

I give up, Annie. So who is this famous American author?! Debbie P.

Dawn said...

alright, i can't take it anymore. for the love of all that is good & holy, tell us!! (my brain is mush.)

annie said...

Yes, Jen is right. It's Nathaniel Hawthorne in the intro to The Scarlet Letter. It was written about 1850. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Anonymous said...

Man! Love the book, but totally wouldn't have gotten it.

Next question? (: Deb