Thursday, December 11

The Best Christmas Story Ever!

So, due to overly conservative planning, I have half-a-class-period to fill tomorrow. Since finals are next week, tomorrow is the last real day of class before Christmas break. I teach at a Christian school, and I initially thought I'd read the Scriptures associated with the annual Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols at King's College Cambridge. It's a collection of Bible passages (listed below) that tells the story of the coming of the Christ.

But, I thought, why don't I look at other classic Christmas stories from famous American and British writers? Why not find something new, poignant, powerful and ... new. Why not find a short story that will open their eyes to truth, light, grace and love?

I've spent the last couple hours reading stories by O. Henry, Dickens, Willa Cather, Truman Capote, P. G. Wodehouse and others. I've read humorous and wise tales of Christmases long gone.

Not a single one of them carries a drop of Scripture's truth, light, grace and love. And so I'm reading them the best--and oldest--Christmas story of all.

Genesis 3:8-19
Genesis 22:15-18
Isaiah 9:2-7
Isaiah 11:1-9
Luke 1:26-38
Luke 2:1-7
Luke 2:8-16
Matthew 2:1-12
John 1:1-14

No comments: