I bought books at Barnes and Noble recently, and their bags have famous lines on them. I wrote them all down, and I'm trying to identify them from memory. Help me! But, no cheating by looking them up! In Barnes and Noble grand scheme, most of them are easy to make us feel like intellectuals. I wrote my answers in the comments section.
1. Wuthering Heights is the name of Mr. Heathcliff's dwelling.
2. Exactly, my dear Watson
3. Half of it's Huck's and half of it's mine.
4. I, poor miserable Robinson Crusoe, being shipwrecked
5. And the letter A, in Scarlet, fantastically embroidered with gold thread
6. All we Karamazovs are such insects.
7. To be, or not to be, that is the question.
8. It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must in need of a wife.
9. I am Oz, the great and terrible.
10. Call me Ishmael.
11. All children, except for one, grow up.
12. Tell of the storm-tossed man, o Muse.
13. As Gregor Samsa awoke from unsettling dreams.
14. Reader, I married him.
15. Within view of the melancholy House of Usher.
16. That love is, all there is, is all we know of love.
17. This is the saddest story I have ever heard
18. Surely, thought Rip, I have not slept here all night.
19. Miss Daisy Miller was a flirt--a pretty American flirt.
20. I sing the body electric.
21. Snow was general all over Ireland.
22. the ruinous wrath of Achilles
23. Through Eden took their solitary way.
24. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
25. Sing, O goddess, the ruinous wrath
9 years ago
5 comments:
1. Wuthering Heights (duh.)
2. Sherlock Holmes (many of them)
3. Huck Finn
4. Robinson Crusoe
5. Scarlet Letter
6. The Brothers Karamazov
7. Hamlet
8. Pride and Prejudice
9. The Wonderful Wizard of OZ
10. Moby Dick
11. Peter Pan
12. ?
13. The Metamorphosis?
14. Jane Eyre? Rebecca?
15. The Fall of the House of Usher
16. Shakespeare? a Browning?
17. ?
18. ?
19. Daisy Miller
20. Walt Whitman--I sing the body electric
21. Angela's Ashes?
22. ?
23. East of Eden?
24. Tale of Two Cities
25. ?
I'm going to play, because I know some of 'em! ha ha ha
1. Wuthering Heights
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Huck Finn
4. Robinson Crusoe
5. Scarlet Letter
6. Brothers Karamazov
7. Hamlet?
8. Pride & Prejudice
9. Wizard of Oz
10.
11. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
12. Old Man & the Sea
13.
14.
15.
16.
17. Romeo & Juliet
18.
19. The Great Gatsby
20.
21. Angela's Ashes
22.
23.
24. A Tale of Two Cities
25.
okay, not so much a nerd as an idiot.
I was thinking Rebecca for 14. I can't help fill in any more blanks - sorry!
Betsy
#18--Rip Van Winkle
Don't you think?
Suz--that's gotta be it! It seems so obvious now.
I'm going to look up the true answers to these...at some point ... soon.
Post a Comment