Plan B--Anne Lamott. I read this entire book (minus the parts I skipped) in a many-times-refilled bath. That is not to say it was fabulous. Basically, I was kinda enjoying it, and I was procrastinating grading. While I don't agree with Lamott's politics, I respect them. Not only that, but we grew up in the same part of the world, and I am intimately familiar with her mindset. But, this book was just too angry. I understand her anger, but I wanted more grace, less grumbling. Read Lamott's Traveling Mercies, not this one.
Watchmen--the classic graphic novel. Totally worth the hype. Read the book before the movie comes out in March. HOWEVER, it is a graphic novel in every sense of the word. It deserves its reputation as a classic (one of Time magazine's top 100 novels ever), but it has sex and drugs and violence--in dripping color. I can't imagine the film version NOT being rated R.
Know-It-All--A. J. Jacobs. Jacobs read the Encyclopaedia Brittanica in a year. This book is full of the minutiae he learned that year, as well as a memoir of his life. I liked it. I'll keep it. If you like trivia, you'll like it too.
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment