Friday, June 26

Home Alone

This week my house became my home. I started (hand)washing my dishes at 10:30 the other night, with good music playing softly and all the windows open to catch and capture cool air before the dawn of another scorcher. I was home.

Right now, I find myself in a similar mood. Again, the good music, the beginning of the silent hours. I love the late night hours. Beyond the crickets and the occasional passing car, the world is mute.

Three years ago I sat on a train, studying my reflection in the glass. The angle was such that I could study my own profile. My arm laid inert across the seat beside me. Cool Spring sunlight coerced its way through the car. Shoulders relaxed, I studied the European suburbia whirling by. Living abroad for the second time, the great oddities of foreign life seemed--not blase--but certainly not exciting. Normal.

In that moment, I realized that I was an adult. No longer striving to define, or discover, or create myself, I knew who I was. A 28-year-old woman, in a tailored jacket, loose slacks, and great heels riding a train through a non-descript French landscape, unhurried, unworried, completing the day's work without self-observation. Until, that is, I saw my reflection.

As I sit here, three years later, I again feel adult, and for so many more reasons. Now I own a home, and it is full of furniture and momentos from a dozen years of international travel and a half-dozen jobs. I cooked dinner for some former students tonight. We ate homemade food from my kitchen, talked about art, listened to good music.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I am where I am supposed to be. I'm living into my calling--whatever that means.

When I sat down at my desk, I meant to write poetry. I meant to write a poem about cool air after a hot day, about gentle lyrics in a tired night, about youthful passion--my students', which is burgeoning, and mine, which is strong, but fading. And yet I couldn't write a poem, and instead turned to my blog, because I can't figure out who I am writing to when I write poetry. When I write on my blog I know Amy, Dawn and a few others will read it. When I write poetry, it always seems to be directed toward this nameless other--sometimes God, usually the "him" who is consistently out of view.

Twice I have thought I had met the man I was going to marry. As both of those men are now married to others, I was clearly wrong. No longer do I mourn either of them, and at moments like this I don't even mourn the idea of them. I am content and happy as this evening darkens to night. Tonight I don't ache for a husband. I don't expect one.

At my brother's wedding last month, the relatives didn't hassle me about a boyfriend. I appreciated it, but was a little sad that they didn't even think it was worth asking. I have become the spinster of my generation. My mom says they were just too polite to ask. When did my relatives become socially sensitive? Polite? That couldn't be it.

I think I'm sad because I'm not sad. It seems that now that I'm content to be single, I'll stay this way forever. At the same time that I type these words of contentment, I feel that swelling in my throat, as if I've swallowed a helium-filled golf ball and it's trying to rise. That feeling that precedes vomit, or tears, or both.

I guess it's my sub-conscious' way of reminding me that I'm not as adult, as content, as fulfilled as I think. That I am lonely in the midst of the cricket serenade. I look around, and I see no romantic prospects on the horizon. I don't have the energy to bouy hope or faith that "he" will appear. But I have the strength to be content, to enjoy tonight. I wish I could vomit up that ball in my throat, spit it out and bury it, so that my contentment could be complete. How long before alone is OK?

7 comments:

annie said...

The poem that followed the blog entry:

I find midnight notes
lonely poems scratched on napkins
crumpled in purses
filed with bills.

I sought you: Jittering glances
into a hundred stranger faces.

But no. Those eyes held souls
pitched to different keys.

I can write only to you.
You haunt me.

I want to write to flesh.
Eyes blue--or brown--must read my words.

Paper yellows.
Words fade.

ARN said...

Always reading. ;)

Love the honesty, no matter how hard it is to type. I won't belittle you with cliches, just know I'm praying that the cool things of this time- warm evenings, crickets, good music and a quiet house- shine brighter than the suckiness right now.

And on that note, how's your July look? I've got about 1 month (as of today) to ransack your garden and create a permanent divot in your couch from watching 4 seasons of Bones from start to finish...

annie said...

Other than the fact that I don't have a couch...it sounds FABULOUS. COME VISIT COME VISIT COME VISIT!

Anonymous said...

Those moments of loneliness when self dwarfs the world are overwhelming.

To know who we truly are, to live sharply focused between the blurred past and the unknown future, produces a sickening sense of awe mixed with the despair of abandonment.

We become so alive that every echo, every pulse of Otherness surrounding us only serves to push us further into the shadow of loneliness.

We must give back, we must requite, but he is not there.

God is there, but He is everywhere.

A simple touch of the hand, a dance of smiles, the closing of this loop of self to another, is what we need.

Poetry, tears, sighs and sleep do not satisfy. He must exist because I exist.

I wish I knew where he was. I wish I could say he is near.

Terminate torment
Of love unsatisfied
The greater torment
Of love satisfied

Dawn said...

These are my favorite kinds of posts. I have been pondering a lot lately if blogging is going out of style, 'cause most of them are written twitter-style, these days... little bits of info instead of bit bits of heart.

You share your heart so well and I am grateful to be able to read it.

And I love the idea of writing poetry to someone you haven't met.

Keep on keepin' on. You are an incredible person. I wish I could hang out with you in your new place!

Dawn said...

correction: "biG" bits of heart

annie said...

Thanks, dear friends, for being dear friends. And anonymous: I have no idea who you are, but I greatly value what you wrote. Thank you.

I agree, Dawn, that blogging serves a different purpose than facebook and twitter. It seems that blogging is reverting back to what it "should" be (in my opinion), moments of memoir and story-telling that don't fit nicely in a status update or a tweet. I definitely don't blog as much as I used to--and it's so much easier to put photos on facebook, but I hope to keep this blog up with more meaningful entries like this one.

I don't know what I would do without all of this crazy technology that keeps me in touch with friends around the country and the world!

Dawn, I'd have your whole family over in an instant! We'd make chalk drawings on the driveway and make bubbles with soap solution and homemade giant wands and we'd eat well!