It's OK. The Tall One forgets the Netherlands all the time. He maintains it's not a real country. It somehow infuriates him that it can be called Holland, but the people are not Hollish; Netherlands but not Netherlander; and the people and language are Dutch but it's not officially Dutchland, although it sounds like something I'd call it.
And, way to follow through on your threat to cull blogs from your blog list that aren't updated for longer than 2 months. I fear deletion, therefore, I write.
Oh, and, if makes Ian feel better (which it won't, as there is joy in the rant) Holland is a region of the Netherlands and the Dutch call themselves "Nederlandse." I don't know where all this "Dutch" business came from. Probably some confusion from ridiculous English speakers who couldn't tell the Dutch from the Germans.
So, if the Dutch call themselves Nederlandses. and if the Germans call themselves Deutsche Who are the real Germans?
OK, enough. I'll stop now. I don't want to be worse than The Tall One.
4 comments:
It's OK. The Tall One forgets the Netherlands all the time. He maintains it's not a real country. It somehow infuriates him that it can be called Holland, but the people are not Hollish; Netherlands but not Netherlander; and the people and language are Dutch but it's not officially Dutchland, although it sounds like something I'd call it.
Welcome to my life.
And, way to follow through on your threat to cull blogs from your blog list that aren't updated for longer than 2 months. I fear deletion, therefore, I write.
AH yes. Fear--my greatest manipulator. It works on students, it works on friends. :)
Oh, and, if makes Ian feel better (which it won't, as there is joy in the rant) Holland is a region of the Netherlands and the Dutch call themselves "Nederlandse." I don't know where all this "Dutch" business came from. Probably some confusion from ridiculous English speakers who couldn't tell the Dutch from the Germans.
So, if the Dutch call themselves Nederlandses.
and if the Germans call themselves Deutsche
Who are the real Germans?
OK, enough. I'll stop now. I don't want to be worse than The Tall One.
Post a Comment