Sunday, June 7

A meditation on sheep. and swine.

Two former students came over for dinner last night. We talked of many things (and watched ridiculous youtube clips). Their intelligence, thoughtfulness and talent encourage me. They, plus two more, are coming over in a couple weeks for an "art day," time to create together and talk about issues relevant to living a life of creativity and faith.

Through our conversation, I was amazed at how strongly I react to the term "Christian." I don't like it. I try to use terms like "Christ-follower" or "Jesus-centered" or "faith-based," as is appropriate. When I was a child, people still proclaimed America to be a Christian nation. Today, people claim communities, schools, etc. to be "Christian." I'm struggling with the idea of any institution being Christian (other than, perhaps, the church--which begins a messy discussion about what, exactly, does "church" mean). Built by Christians? Yes. Consisting of Christians? Yes. Led by Christians? Yes. Is the institution itself Christian? I don't know ...

Teenagers demand authenticity from the adults in their lives and from each other. No label is so hated as that of "hypocrite." As Christ Himself railed against hypocrites, I can't fault my students for their dislike. However, before we hate hypocrites, we must shower grace, and consider the planks in our own eyes.

I feel grace-less in my dislike for the word "Christian." I condemn cultural Christianity for muting the gospel, but rather than wishing for the destruction of the weak-souled, should I not passionately love them and seek to guide them into discipleship, as Christ allows?

The four who have begun this journey with me are strong-souled. But the road is narrow and wearying, and I desire to walk with them through the rough and the smooth. They are worthy of the calling.

And yet, by acknowledging them as worthy, and implicitly labeling others as not, am I growing deaf to grace? Or, are these merely the sheep in my pasture? I am not required to shepherd every sheep, just the ones the Father has entrusted to me.

Somewhere in the midst of this ramble is some truth, and somewhere there is justification. I believe in the wisdom of not throwing pearls before swine, and then feel guilty for labeling people as swine. But could those "swine" simply be sheep in someone else's fold?

3 comments:

Dawn said...

To answer your last question, yes.

Nice introspection.

ARN said...

Wow, that's a level of deep and introspection that one just doesn't achieve watching episodes of It's Me Or The Dog and studying for the nursing board exam.

But on that note, I cringe when anyone in th news says the word Christian. The latest was while watching the last 5 minutes of an "I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here" episode, in which the two worst human beings alive talked about being Christian and how and what they pray for. I give up. If they and a crazed doctor killer can claim to be Christians and think that legitimizes what they do- then I'm not using the word to describe me.

And on a happier note, I bought The Iliad today. Summer reading!!! Don't ask me what I was thinking. I only got it because Ian said I had to before I could read "The Odyssey"- kind of like you really should read "The Hobbit" before LOTR.

I'm a dork.

annie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you bought The Illiad for summer reading. I'm reading George Bernard Shaw's Man and Superman, which I thought was bad, but at least it's a PLAY. And originally written in ENGLISH.

You're fabulous. And my hero. I'll call you when I get back in the time zone.