Thursday, July 21

quotations

I've always loved quotations, so here are a few good ones. I meant to include only a few, but then I got a little carried away:

Because I travel:
Margaret Mead: As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate more lovingly, our own.

Because I teach:
Albert Einstein: It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

Because I love the arts:
John Adams: I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.

For those who comment on (read: tease me for) my propensity for melancholy music in a minor key:
Percy Bysshe Shelley: Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.

For Judy, my supervisor:
Douglas Adams: I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Because I couldn't help myself:
Charlotte Whitton: Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.

And last, for my dad:
Winston Churchill: History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Annie -
I love quotes too! I wrote down this awesome one by Wendell Barry yesterday, and I'm trying to remember it... maybe time I plug it into the never-failing Google. Something about traveling and journeying and finding home. :)

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well" - remember?

annie said...

Absolutely! and.. "so taking me disappearing ... to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free..."