I have a question, and I don't think there is an answer, but I would really like some input from y'all out there. Please respond, even if you do so anonymously. There is a popular belief that creative people often suffer from depression. I believe there is, and I somewhat innately understand that link, but I'm having a hard time putting it into words. It has something to do with opening yourself up to be a conduit and then being forced to deal with the grime that is behind once you've filtered out the truth (and turned that truth into art). Some of you who read this are creative types, and I'd like to know what you think. The rest of you are sane, which makes your input treasured as well. And yes, there are some who are creative and sane. Rare, but existent. :)
So--- do you believe that there is a tendency for creative people to suffer from depression? If not, why not? If so, why do you agree, and why do you think that tendency exists?
9 years ago
6 comments:
jo jo and i have talked about this numerous times. yes, i DO believe there is definitely a link between creativity and depression. Many of my writer friends have suffered from some level of depression...heck look at the history of painters chopping off their ears, ok so maybe only one :) and writers killing themselves, etc. I could blame it on some genetic link...i don't really know what the reasoning is. I think many predisposed to depression use creativity as an outlet to cope with their problems. Maybe it is because creative people tend to be emotional, sensitive (in some way or another) beings...which i think can more easily open one up to depression. On the other hand, i know plenty of creative people who don't fit in this category, such as roby...i'll be interested to see what other peeps think about this topic. Be sure to ask Jo for her input...
I think that there is a link between pain, depression, and art. One reason that I can put into words is that often artist strive for absoulute perfection in their work and are never satisfied. Artists have a real need to be heard and listened to and to be understood. I personally would be depressed if I had no one to listen and to understand my work.
In church on Sunday two artists created paintings (well, one was multi-media) behind the preacher as he gave the message, and there were three pauses in the sermon to meditate on the art. I wrote a poem through it (see the expatriate letters site). Before the first viewing/meditation the pastor said, "the artists are really frightened that you (the congregation) will judge them for what they've done and won't understand...so be gentle."
My art is with words, and I can communicate well through speaking as well as writing. I think it really hit me on Sunday that for some visual artists and musicians, their art is their only way to communicate, and it is widely dismissed and harshly judged by most people. We all just want to be known, and if our attempts are unheard, or even worse, laughed at... I'd want to walk out into the sea.
The Expatriate Letters is my way of "putting it out there," and I'd be devastated if someone attacked something I put on there.
I think that I can best describe the depression-creativity link by looking at it from the opposite side. Flip it on its back, if you will...
When one is feeling optimistic and happy-go-lucky, there is little to no desire or draw to move out of that safe comfort zone. Creating art (whatever the medium) is often about purging ourselves of some inward unhappiness or discomfort or turmoil. For some people, it may just not be quite as easy to come by when they are la la la happy. Maybe creativity is a way of easing up out of the crap of life.
Ah..when even the psychology professionals use phrases like "easing the crap out of life," I feel better. :)
The more I think about it, the more amazed I am by the people (like Roby, married to Heather who commented above) who can create beauty from a place of absolute sanity and solidity. Maybe the link between depression and creativity isn't nearly as interesting as the artists who DON'T need "the crap of life" to make them creative, but can be conduits of truth and beauty in all emotional weathers.
Hmmmm... Still thinking...
I doubt anyone will ever notice another comment added way down here, but here's my latest thought: art derives from emotional honesty--which is often highly painful. Purposefully descending into that pain takes more determination than most people have. However, if one is already descended, already bobbing in the muck, then emotional truthfulness is as plentiful as air... and art becomes a way to breathe.
Post a Comment