Recently I went to a concert with some friends and the program (as in the "bulletin") included the libretto (lyrics) for Handel's Messiah, which had been performed in the same concert hall earlier in the day.
I knew The Messiah was all Bible verses, but I had never really followed the lyrics (despite hearing it performed live a few years ago, and having my dad blare it most Sunday mornings while I was growing up).
Even while reading it, I couldn't help but sing "But. we. like. sheep., have gooooooooooooone ........" Ok, that's doesn't translate well--but if you know The Messiah, you know what I mean.
I was impressed how the snippets of verses all flowed together. Here are some links to the libretto. The middle one has audio clips too, although since my brother "borrowed" the speakers to the family computer, I haven't been able to hear the clips myself.
http://gfhandel.org/messiahlibretto.htm
http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/handel_messiah.html
http://opera.stanford.edu/iu/libretti/messiah.htm
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment