Monday, January 23

Motorcyle Diaries

It seems that everytime I turn on the TV, The Motorcycle Diaries** is on. I almost saw it in the theatre, but at the last minute the friends I was with changed their minds. I wish we had seen it on the big screen...the scenery demands it. With all the transition in my life right now, I can't help but view everything in regards to my upcoming move. There are a pluthera of great lines in this movie, but here are the English translations of two that really caught my attention:

“What do we leave behind when we cross each frontier? Each moment seems split in two; melancholy for what was left behind and the excitement of entering a new land”

"How is it possible to feel nostalgia for a world I never knew?"


**The Motorcycle Diaries is a film based on an autobiography by Ernesto "Che" Guevara de la Serna, chronicling the motorcyle trip he took throughout South America with his friend Alberto Guevara. It portrays how an aspiring young doctor received a more thorough understanding of his continent, and why he became a revolutionary. Frequent voiceovers from the autobiography emphasize his haunting awareness that a revolution is uncontrollable, never leading to the uptopia envisioned by its founders, and--considering his cult-like status today--describes uncannily the way a person's life and death can be heroized for political gain. Occassionally it's just spooky.

No comments: