Monday, February 13

Tabesca

Joel is one of the smartest and most articulate three-year-olds around, especially since he is fluent in English, French, and probably understands more Afrikaans than he lets on. Here is a conversation he recently had with his father:

Dad: Where are you going, Joel?
Joel: Tabesca.
Dad: Where's Tabesca?
Joel: You know, Dad.
Dad: No, I don't Joel. Is it near South Africa?
Joel: No. (eye-roll) It's nowhere you've been.
Dad: Is Tabesca near the countries I've visited?
Joel: Daa-aad. Nooo-oooo!
Dad: Do the people need to hear about Jesus?
Joel: No, they're really mean there.
Dad: So maybe they DO need to hear about Jesus.
Joel: Yeah, I guess they do.
Dad: Is Tabesca near here?
Joel: No, it's really far away.


The funniest part of this conversation is that Tabesca keeps coming up in conversation. And Joel's parents are continually learning new details about this mysterious land.

I'm feeling a bit like an under-achiever. When I was Joel's age I had an imaginary friend named Agua. But Joel has an entire country. Oh well...

I will continue with Tabesca updates, as they are revealed to me. Right now I'm thinking it would be a great vacation get-away, except for all the mean people.

No comments: