Friday, March 17

driving in France

Yesterday I arrived at two major French driving milestones:

1. I parallel-parked a stickshift in a little place BY MYSELF, without bumping the other cars (although bumping cars while parking is totally acceptable in France).

2--and the much bigger accomplishment-- as I was driving home last night, I came to an extremely narrow part of a medieval-era street where my Volkswagon-Rabbit type car and another of the same size did not have enough room to pass each other, yet we were both clippin' along. Without an ounce of hesitation or panic, I DROVE ON THE SIDEWALK, and kept right on going. It was 11 pm--no pedestrians in sight, and since French sidewalks are made for parking, they aren't very high. But still...the accomplishment remains.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB!!!! I am soooo proud of you. Now if I had been driving and you were in the passenger seat as I DROVE OF THE SIDEWALK I know exactly what your response would be. Something like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!!

M.
XOXOX

jpn said...

Great work Annie! Soon you won't be breaking for small children crossing the street just like a real French driver!

The McKays said...

Look at you! A little Bourne Identity action going on there, huh? Were you in a Mini-Cooper??!
suz

Anonymous said...

suz--Alas, no Mini Cooper. A Peugeot 306 (you'd swear it was a Volkswagen Rabbit). I watched Bourne Identity in French. Matt Damon just doesn't sound as tough in French.

And jpn--I'll break for YOUR children anyday. Others...we'll have to see. :)

M--that's my perogative! how boring if I was consistent! :)