Thursday, October 19

Je sais que c'est un problème

Stories from my trip will be coming slowly, and probably in reverse order.

When I left France for England several weeks ago, I had to talk my way into the UK since my EU visa paperwork was expired. The French are famous among the EU community for not processing paperwork in a timely manner, which, I can tell you from experience, really annoys the Brits, the Germans, and the Swedes. So the Brits were kind enough to let me into their country, and then the French had an attitude letting me back in afterward, even though they are the ones behind. Oy Vey.

So I went to the US with no problems (countries don't care when you leave), but on the return trip I was worried about getting in again. I was praying (and had many of you praying) that I wouldn't get hassled or rejected. So, as I stood in line at passport control at Charles de Gaulle airport, I was practicing all my French phrases that I might need. "La carte de sejour est à la préfecture. Elle est trop, trop en retard. Je sais que c'est un problème, mais j'ai donné les papiers et . . . [insert Gallic shrug here]" * But, after a simple "bon jour," the agent stamped my passport and waved me through.

Occasionally French inefficiency wearies me, but I love when two instances inefficiency cancel each other out. Thanks for praying. Why do I continue to be surprised when God answers prayer?
---------------------------------
*The carte de sejour (visa) is at the prefecture (government office where they process these things). It is very, very late. I know that it is a problem, but I gave in my papers and ... "

No comments: