The American Film Institute has released their most recent edition of the top 100 American movies. Like all such lists, this one must be taken with a grain of salt, but I think they're interesting nonetheless. (Toy Story is one notch better than Ben Hur? Really?) Often these lists say as much about contemporary culture as they do about the movies themselves. These were their top 10:
1. "Citizen Kane," 1941.
2. "The Godfather," 1972.
3. "Casablanca," 1942.
4. "Raging Bull," 1980.
5. "Singin' in the Rain," 1952.
6. "Gone With the Wind," 1939.
7. "Lawrence of Arabia," 1962.
8. "Schindler's List," 1993.
9. "Vertigo," 1958.
10. "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.
I've seen 8 of the 10. Of the whole list, I've seen only 38.
Since the last AFI list, Doctor Zhivago, Amadeus, Close Encounteres of the Third Kind, Dances with Wolves and The Jazz Singer all fell off the list.
Do any of the choices surprise you? Frankly, I can't figure out why Singin' in the Rain is on the list at all--let alone in the top 10.
Check out the link for other "top 100" lists for villians, quotes, heroes, etc. I may have to do another blog entry about movie quotes...
9 years ago
1 comment:
I agree about taking the list with a grain of salt, but I find them fun too. I just counted and I have seen 28 of the 100 listed. I feel that most of the newly inducted are worthy of being on the list. But I don't get "Tootsie" being on there. Maybe it's because I find cross-dressing movies tedious (Mrs. Doubtfire, Some Like It Hot, anything Eddie Murphy's in lately, etc.).
Post a Comment